2018 WORKSHOP ENSEMBLES
INTRODUCTION TO ORCHESTRA and ENSEMBLE PLAYING
This NEW class is designed for violin students who have completed “I Can Read Music, vol. 1” and above or equivalent . Students should also know the letter names and fingerings of the notes in first position for their instrument and be able to read notes on all four strings. This class will provide an opportunity for Suzuki students with little or no orchestra or ensemble experience to discover the joys and rewards of playing in an ensemble. Music will be sent by email to students before the 2018 Workshop.
In addition to the basic registration classes, students who choose this NEW option will meet for a two hour rehearsal on Friday night and as scheduled during the day on Saturday. Attendance both Friday and Saturday is required except by approval. These students will be performing ensemble pieces chosen for the level of those enrolled and for performance on the Workshop Festival Concert. Instrument parts will be sent by email ahead of time so that students can come prepared. The Advanced Ensemble will be open to Violin, Viola, and Cello students and will be directed by Paul Landefeld.
2018 ENSEMBLE PARTS WILL BE SENT BY EMAIL BY 1/12/2018.
REQUIRED MINIMUM PERFORMANCE LEVEL for ADVANCED ENSEMBLE
(The pieces listed refer to pieces that have been polished.)
- Violin – Humoresque, Book 3 with knowledge of 3rd position
- Viola – Gavotte By Lully, Book 2 with knowledge of 3rd position
- Cello – Two Grenadiers, Book 2
- Sight reading ability required.
- Reading and playing level should include:
- A basic understanding of shifting .
- Familiarity with time signatures of 2/4, 3/4, 4/4 and 6/8.
- Familiarity with key signatures using 3 sharps and 2 flats.
TEACHER APPROVAL IS REQUIRED FOR ADVANCED ENSEMBLE and INTRODUCTION TO ORCHESTRA/ ENSEMBLE PLAYING.
Submitting the Workshop application acknowledges teacher approval.
Advanced Ensemble and Introduction to Orchestra/Ensemble Playing Require Basic Registration plus an additional fee.
Please call if you would like more details about the music or help deciding if this is a good option for you. If desired, we can send a copy of the music to a teacher who can help make a decision on whether a student is ready for this opportunity.
Add Advanced Ensemble or Introduction to Orchestra/Ensemble Playing to your Basic Registration!
• Will replace one group or enrichment class.
• Advanced Ensemble will perform in the workshop concert.
• Can be combined with Fiddling for a packed but exciting schedule!
• Advanced Ensemble starts at 7:00pm Friday and 8:45am Saturday.